Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Agony of Defeat

And then it happens - you lose. Even a proven champ like Gabby Douglas can fall short.  For some it was enough to be competing. For others that first medal, even a bronze, was a victory. For the expected champion, for the one who lost by hundredths of a second, a silver medal holds no glory.

Here's where the analogy between Olympic training and being a Steward in training ends. For the Steward - there is no defeat. That isn't to say there aren't times of feeling lost, estranged, like we are living in a spiritual desert. Those are necessary times in our spiritual growth. But the great example of the crucifixion is that what looks like defeat to the world may actually be victory. As a steward accepting my role in caring for God's church and for all of creation, I feel pretty defeated right now. That's when I need the support of my team, my coach, my sports psychologist (translate that to be my church, my God, and my pastors).


No comments:

Post a Comment