Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Discerning and Discovering

I love "Discover" magazine. Every time I pick it up, I'm shown just how miraculous all of creation is. It fascinates me that I can look at a leaf and see a leaf, while a scientist with the aid of equipment and imagination gets to see a whole universe that's invisible to me.

As I read this magazine dedicated to bridging the gap between someone like me and a research scientist, I'm always struck with the scientific pursuit of what is really true, what is so fundamental to the structure of the material world, that it can be replicated in experiments by anyone anywhere and come up with the same conclusion. Now I read that there may be universes in which those things we all agree on as being true about our physical world aren't true at all. There are places where things just don't work the way they do here. What do I do with that bit of information?

In this blog we talk about living a Steward's life as relating with everything and everyone according to it's true nature. Unfortunately, we can't always be sure how to do that. In fact, we disagree as heartily about the true nature of the universe as we do about its creation. Where does this leave the would be Steward?

I hope you aren't looking for an answer here. The best I have to offer is a series of questions. What is the truth of the scripture, not the surface appearance that I can see with my naked eye, but the deep truth? What is the knowledge handed down to me by scholars? What does my Methodist tradition tell me? In the silence of my meditation room, what do I discern in my own stilled mind? What are the results of my actions in the world? For me, the Steward's life is about asking the questions, living the answers, and evaluating the results with faith that once in a while, I'll get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment