Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Whom do I serve?

When we refer to stewards as caretakers, it's easy to slip into a misunderstanding of relationships. We speak of God, ourselves as stewards, and the world of which we are stewards, making those seem like three distinct entities. We hear this type of language in any caring or serving situation in which we use the word "they." We serve breakfast on Tuesday for the homeless, "them." But Jesus said whatever we do to the least of  his brothers, we do to him. I don't think this was a metaphor. Jesus also described to us the Holy Spirit, God present with us, God living in and among us. From this point of view, there is no they or them anywhere, there is only us. When I serve as a steward feeding the hungry, it is as if my right hand brings food to my mouth to nourish my left hand. When I serve God's community, I am also a part of God's community, so I serve myself. When I care for the world, I care for the creation which is the manifestation of God's creative force. I too am part of that manifestation. I care for myself. Stewardship isn't a noble life lived at one's own expense for the glory of God and service to others. It isn't being a servant bowing in obedience. Stewardship is understanding the true relationship among things, people, and God, and living in accordance with the nature of that relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment