Sunday, July 29, 2012

Curling is a winter sport - you won't see it this summer. It is one of the strangest sports I have ever seen. I first encountered it when I moved to Wisconsin and I thought the people playing this odd game on the ice had lost their minds. In case you don't know the sport, one person tries to slide the stone across the ice to a goal. Teammates sweep around the stone in an effort to help guide it. They are not allowed to touch the stone, only to create an environment around it that helps guide it to its goal. This sport, which you will see in the Winter Olympics, describes for me of the life of a steward. I'm not allowed to jump into anyone's life and make them experience God or carry out mission work, or act in any particular way. My task is to be a good sweeper - to create an environment in which every stone is best enabled to reach its destination. I like this analogy for a couple of reasons, one of which is it helps keep me from taking myself too seriously. When I get all tied up in knots I imagine myself sweeping away with my little broom. Watch a curling video and see what I mean. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXeXNHRPMMI

No comments:

Post a Comment